Amsterdam is a ‘bucket list destination’ that every traveller should visit! This city has a unique landscape, with tall skinny buildings and plenty of picturesque canals. We loved how welcoming the city was, and we also appreciated how easy the city was to navigate as a tourist. In this guide to Amsterdam we’re giving you our top suggestions for hotels, restaurants, sights and bars. Happy travels!
WHERE TO STAY
- To be close to everything, we recommend staying at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Centre. This beautiful hotel has stunning views of the city, and their breakfast buffet is delicious! Best of all, you are walking distance to Central Station and there is a tram stop directly across the street from the hotel.
- For a slightly more luxurious stay, Hotel Okura has stunning rooms and five on-site restaurants. Three of the five restaurants have been awarded Michelin stars, so this hotel is a great choice for foodies!
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- You can’t come to Amsterdam without drinking Heineken – and the best place to do it is at the Heineken Experience! Learn how the beer is made is a fun, interactive tour – and finish your visit by drinking beer at their rooftop bar.
- Stop by the famous I Amsterdam sign to take a picture! We recommend going early in the morning to avoid crowds.
- The Flower Market is a great place for pictures and purchasing souvenirs.
- A canal cruise is not only a great way to see the city, but it also gives you background information! We love the cruises from “Lovers” because the boats are nice and the audioguides are anything but boring.
- Amsterdam is filled with popular museums, but Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum are the most popular.
WHERE TO EAT
- For an unforgettable lunch check out Bar Brasserie OCCO inside The Dylan hotel. Their gourmet sandwiches are to die for!
- For a fun and inexpensive dinner, check out Burger Meester.
- If you’re craving Italian food, the thin pizzas at Da Portare Via are great. Save room for dessert – they make a great tiramisu too.
- For authentic chinese food, every foodie in Amsterdam knows about the legendary Nam Kee! Don’t miss the duck here.
- Lanskroon Bakery is the best known for stroopwafel. To eat one like a local, order a hot cup of tea and place your stroopwafel overtop of the mug to let the steam melt the caramel filling!
- At Hotel Okura, Serre serves amazing fresh meals! Stop here for lunch or dinner to dine on ceviche, lamb and fresh fish. The beautiful interior makes this a great spot for a special occasion.
WHERE TO DRINK
- For drinks with a view check out the rooftop bar at W Amsterdam. Their signature cocktails and well-dressed crowd make this a trendy place to be!
- Don’t miss a night out in the Red Light District – there’s really nothing like it anywhere in the world.
- Hotel Review: Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Centre
- Hotel Review: Hotel Okura Amsterdam
- Restaurant Review: Bar Brasserie OCCO
- Visiting The Heineken Experience
- Top 5 Spots for Photos in Amsterdam
- How To Spend Three Days in Amsterdam