Vienna is a must-visit city in Europe for any traveller. Their rich culture, stunning museums and incredible cuisine makes this city the perfect vacation hot spot. We instantly fell in love with Vienna when we saw the stunning architecture – and after trying a few local restaurants Vienna rose to top of our “best places in Europe” list. In this Quick Guide to Vienna we’re sharing our recommendations for hotels, sights, restaurants and bars.
WHERE TO STAY
- Ruby Marie Hotel is not only my favourite hotel in Vienna, but it’s also one of my favourite hotels in all of Europe! This modern hotel has comfortable rooms, great amenities and friendly staff. Self check-in and a complimentary movie theatre are just two of the things they offer that make this hotel really stand out. During summer months you can also make use of their gorgeous terrace for breakfast or pre-dinner drinks!
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- Vienna is well known for their palaces, with Belvedere Palace being the most famous. No trip to Vienna is complete without visiting Belvedere Palace and their beautiful garden.
- KarlsKirche Church is one of my favourite churches in Europe because of it’s unique design. St. Stephen’s Cathedral is another popular church to visit in Vienna.
- Palmenhaus is an old tropical house that has been converted into an upscale restaurant. They also have an indoor butterfly garden that’s absolutely beautiful!
- Prater Park is a popular park that is also home to a small amusement park. Take a ride on the ferris wheel for a birds eye view of Vienna!
- The Austrian National Library is widely regarded as one of the world’s most beautiful libraries.
- If you have time to take in a show, I highly recommend seeing an opera at the Vienna State Opera. If you don’t have time to go to a show, you can visit during the take to take a tour of the building.
WHERE TO EAT
- For an authentic Austrian meal there’s no better place to eat than Huth Gastwirtschaft. We recommend trying the classic veal schnitzel here!
- Bitzinger’s Sausage Stand near the Vienna State Opera is the perfect spot for a quick lunch or snack – and they have the best sausages I’ve ever had.
- Cafe Sacher Wien is world famous for their Sacher-Torte. This chocolate cake is an incredible balance between light and rich – a must-try in Vienna!
- Another cafe popular for their desserts is Cafe Central. We recommend trying the traditional apple strudel here!
- For a casual dinner with river views check out Waterfront Kitchen.
WHERE TO DRINK
- The bar at Ruby Marie Hotel is a lively spot with fantastic cocktails (try their mojito!). They also have a spacious outdoor terrace, which is an awesome place to enjoy a drink on a hot summer evening.
- Strandbar Herrmann is an outdoor bar with a sandy “beach” area.