Bratislava should be on everyone’s bucket list! It’s easy to get to, it’s affordable and the food is amazing. When we were planning our time in Eastern Europe I knew I wanted to add Bratislava to the itinerary, but I also knew that we were short on time. Although I would have loved to spend another 1 or 2 nights in Bratislava, I felt like 24 hours was more than enough time to see the most important sights and enjoy a few of the city’s best restaurants! Here’s an in-depth look at how to spend 24 hours in Bratislava:
- 12noon –Arrive in Bratislava via boat or train, and head straight to Tulip House Boutique Hotel to check-in. This beautiful hotel is located walking distance from the boats, and a short taxi ride from the train station.
- 12:30pm –Once you’re settled into your room, take a short 7 minute walk to the city centre for lunch at Zylinder Cafe Restaurant. I recommend trying a traditional Slovakia dish – such as the dumplings with sauerkraut. For dessert, don’t miss the poppy pierogies!
- 1:30pm – After a delicious lunch it’s time to start exploring Bratislava! To hit all of the must-see places in one easy walking route I suggest visiting sights in the following order:
- Michael’s Gate
- Main Square
- Primate’s Palace
- The Blue Church
- 4pm – When you’ve finished seeing the four main sights (and enjoyed walking around the city) make your way back to Tulip House Boutique Hotel, which is only a 4 minute walk from The Blue Church. Use this time to relax in your gorgeous hotel room and get ready for your night out in Bratislava!
- 5pm –Now that you’re all rested, time to head to Bratislava Castle. The castle is a 20 minute walk from the hotel, so you might prefer to take a taxi. I recommend walking as it’s a beautiful and easy walk! Visiting Bratislava Castle this close to closing time means there won’t be any crowds, and it also won’t be nearly as hot as it is during the day. You can choose to pay to enter the castle, or you can simply enjoy walking around the outside of it. Outside of the castle is also a great place to get pictures of the city below.
- 7pm – On your way back from the castle, stop at Modra Hviezda for dinner. This popular restaurant is one of the best in the city, so reservations are highly recommended. If possible, get a table in the cellar for a unique dining experience. The pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes are very good here!
- 9pm – Before heading back to your hotel, stop by Sky Bar to enjoy a cocktail with stunning views of the city. From here, it’s a short 7 minute walk home to Tulip House Boutique Hotel.
- 8:30am – Take your time waking up in the morning, and relax in bed! When you’re ready, head downstairs for scrumptious buffet breakfast at the hotel. Be sure to try the yogurt and loose leaf teas!
- 10am – Your last few hours in the city can be used however you wish, I recommend going back to visit any areas you really loved. Another option would be to reserve the hotel’s sauna for a spa-like morning of relaxation! This is especially good if you feel a little tired out from all the walking yesterday!