The Niagara region of Ontario is one of Canada’s most popular tourist destinations. Everyone knows about Niagara Falls, but some travellers still don’t know about the beautiful town called Niagara-On-The-Lake that’s right next to it! This town is stunning – with views of Lake Ontario, incredible restaurants and dozens of wineries. This guide to Niagara-On-The-Lake has everything you need to know to plan your perfect visit.
WHERE TO STAY
- We love the Oban Inn because of it’s perfect location, wonderful restaurant and friendly staff. The Oban Inn is walking distance to everything, but it’s also located across the street from Lake Ontario – giving you stunning lake views from some of their suites. As an added convenience, their in-house spa is the best in the area.
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- The most popular thing to do in Niagara-On-The-Lake is visit local wineries. From small organic wineries, to huge sprawling ones – I guarantee you’ll find a winery you love here.
- If you’d like to visit a number of wineries (and enjoy all the wine samples!) the best way to do this is by joining a wine tour. Our favourite company is Grape Escape Wine Tours because they have a wide range of tours to choose from. Their afternoon bicycle wine tour is a lot of fun!
- Also through Grape Escape Wine Tours, you can rent bikes for the day – which is a great way to get around the town and explore the area! Along Lake Ontario there is a bike path that makes for a very enjoyable ride.
- For those who love to shop (guilty!) there’s a brand new outlet mall just outside of Niagara-On-The-Lake called Outlet Collection Niagara.
- Of course, just a 25 minute drive away is Niagara Falls! We like to combine both Niagara-On-The-Lake and Niagara Falls in the same trip – although we now prefer to stay in Niagara-On-The-Lake and only visit the falls for the day.
WHERE TO EAT
- Shaw Cafe is one of the most famous places to each in Niagara-On-The-Lake, and it’s one of the first places I suggest you visit!
- The restaurant at Oban Inn is another popular spot. Make a reservation ahead of time, and try to get a window seat overlooking their beautiful garden.
- Corks is one of my favourite spots to eat in Niagara-On-The-Lake, thanks to their beautiful sun room overlooking Queen Street. Their burgers are great here.
- If you’re craving pizza I love the unique options at Bistro Six-One!
- Nina is a delicious gelato shop on Queen Street that also have great panini sandwiches and pizza. Their gelato is some of the best in all of Ontario, which probably has something to do with the fact that the owner imports all of the ingredients (except the milk of course) from Italy.
- For a truly romantic evening, have dinner at any of the local wineries that have a restaurant. Vineyard Estates, Peller Estates and Trius Winery are three that I recommend.