Koh Tao isn’t the easiest island to get to in Thailand, but I promise the long journey is worth it! Koh Tao is less developed than some of the other nearby islands, giving you a true feeling of a tropical vacation. This Quick Guide to Koh Tao includes everything you need to know about the island:
WHERE TO STAY
- A budget-resort with an incredible infinity pool and killer views is The Aminjirah
- For a more luxurious stay check out Jamahkiri Resort & Spa
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- A visit to the neighbouring island called Koh Nang Yuan is the perfect day trip.
- Just outside of Maya Beach Club is Sup Tao – the island’s best stand up paddle board rental.
- With plenty of secluded beaches around the island you’ll never run out of new places to explore, swim or go snorkelling.
- Kayaks can also be rented around the island, and you can even use the kayak to get out to Koh Nang Yuan.
WHERE TO EAT
- Bingo’s Bungalows on the beach has delicious no-fuss Thai food and very affordable prices. Their pad thai was really good!
- The Blue Chair is another great spot for affordable Thai food – it’s a great lunch spot located on the street just down from 7 Eleven.
- Portobello serves up Mediterranean food in a chic setting at great prices. Not hard to see why this place is always packed!
- The food at The Aminjirah Resort is quite good, and the sweeping ocean views are beautiful at night.
- El Toro is conveniently located on the walking street and serves up delicious Mexican-inspired dishes.
- Blue Water is a trendy cafe-restaurant-lounge that looks like it should be in Australia. Great spot for brunch or evening drinks.
- Barracuda is another popular dinner spot – reservations are a must!
WHERE TO DRINK
- The best way to check out all of the best bars on the island is to join the Koh Tao Pub Crawl which starts at Choppers Bar. It’s well organized and a lot of fun!
- For a more mature crowd and great music check out Maya Beach Club. I love this place in the late afternoon.
- Banyan Bar is run by expats and serve high quality drinks to a mature crowd. This bar is a favourite with anyone who knows Koh Tao well!