Seven days in Bangkok has literally killed my feet. Most days we’ve been out of the hotel for at least 8-10 hours straight doing everything from shopping to temple hopping. The result is sore, swollen and very dirty feet. It literally too hot in Bangkok to wear running shoes so I’ve stuck to my trusty Havianna flip flops, but as a result the colour is now more black than gold!
Bangkok is home to hundreds (maybe thousands?) of spas offering $5 foot massages – which has been a real treat for our tired feet!
Tip: My favourite place for a foot massage is Shewa Spa near Khaosan Road!
Unfortunately, there’s a big difference between a $5 foot massage and a $5 pedicure. I’m loving every minute of these cheap massages but the thought of having a cheap pedicure with un-sanitized equipment really grosses me out.
On day seven in Bangkok I needed to pamper myself sans spa, so I took a look around my room at Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok to see what I could come up with. The result? Pure bliss!!
Here’s your step by step guide for a DIY Hotel Room Foot Spa:
What You Need
- Body Wash and/or Bath Salts
- Tea Bag
- Body Lotion
- Bar of Soap
- Toothbrush (Optional)
- Cheesy Spa Music (Optional)
- Bathrobe & Slippers
What To Do
- Start by filling the bathtub with warm water and adding in a generous amount of body wash (I used an entire tube). Add in bath salts if your hotel gave you some.
- Prepare a foot scrub inside a coffee mug using a few packets of sugar, a dollop of body lotion and the contents of one tea bag (green tea is my preference!).
- Look up some cheesy spa music on YouTube (try this one) and play it on your phone.
- Soak your feet in the bathtub for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a small towel to dry your feet off then rub the homemade scrub on your feet, concentrating on the heels. It’s important to dry your feet first because if they’re too wet it will dissolve the sugar and your scrub won’t work! Rinse your feet in the bathtub.
- Lather the bar of soap onto the toothbrush and use the soapy toothbrush to further clean your heels and around your toe nails. Rinse again.
- Dry your feet, apply body lotion to your feet and lower legs, and put on your bathrobe and slippers. Ahhhh bliss!!