Beautiful river views, great restaurants and plenty of luxury hotels. Vientiane is a great city worth stopping in on your way to Luang Prabang. This quick guide to Vientiane includes everything you need to know about visiting the capital of Laos!
WHERE TO STAY
- With stunning views of the Mekong River and comfortable, modern rooms Landmark Mekong Riverside Hotel is our top choice for accommodation in Vientiane.
- At a lower price point, Vientiane Golden Sun Hotel is located a bit closer to the city and they’re friendly staff are very welcoming!
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- Pha That Luang is Laos’ most important buddhist temple and it’s located not far from central Vientiane.
- Next to Pha That Luang is a huge Reclining Buddha statue that’s also worth a visit.
- In case you aren’t sick of buddhas yet, just outside the city is the famous Buddha Park.
- Patuxay Monument is also with a visit, with beautiful fountains and gardens.
WHERE TO EAT
- For delicious Italian food and friendly service check out Soul Kitchen.
- My favourite lunch spot is a cafe called Common Ground. It’s a great taste of home – they even have pumpkin spice lattes!
- Le Banneton was one of my favourite French places in Luang Prabang, and they have another location in Vientiane that’s also worth visiting.
- When you’re craving dimsum check out Chokdee Dimsum Gold.
- Another Luang Prabang restaurant with a location in Vientiane is Joma Bakery & Cafe. Great soups and baked goods here!
- Ban Vilaylac has simple, fresh Lao food. Their laap is particularly good and their mango sticky rice is the best I’ve ever had.