I arrived in Luang Prabang with no expectations, and ended up loving this city! The people and the delicious food are what really stand out to me – but I also loved the European influence and old city charm. Here’s everything you need to know in our Quick Guide to Luang Prabang!
WHERE TO STAY
- The BelleRive Boutique Hotel is rated number one for a reason – beautiful rooms, great staff and the perfect location!
- If you’re on a budget Villa Chitchareune is an affordable hotel in a great location. The rooms are brand new, but very basic.
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- The most popular attraction in Luang Prabang is the nearby Kuang Xi Falls. They’re absolutely stunning and worth the visit!
- Many hotels offer free bicycles, so grab a set of wheels and explore the city at your own pace.
- Attending an Alms Giving Ceremony is a beautiful way to participate in the local culture.
- If you get the opportunity to visit the nearby Pak Ou Caves you should take it! Most tours also stop at a local riverbank village as well.
WHERE TO EAT
- The most popular restaurant in the city in Tamarind – and it’s popular for a reason! They have great food and their prices are also reasonable. The staff also educate you on Lao food and how to eat it, so I’d visit this restaurant first because you’ll learn lots from the staff!
- The BelleRive Terrace has an amazing green curry, and the views of the river are pretty damn good!
- The food stalls are the night market are some of the best street food I’ve ever had. The fresh spring rolls, skewers and khao soi are particularly good.
- For delicious French-inspired meals head to Le Cafe Ban Vat Sene. Their baguettes are to die for!
- Joma Bakery Cafe is another favourite of mine. Around Thanksgiving they even have pumpkin pie!
- Bamboo Tree is another restaurant serving up authentic Lao food. They have sampler plates where you can try small amounts of all of the most popular Lao food – which I highly recommend trying.
WHERE TO DRINK
- There aren’t many places to drink in Luang Prabang (thanks to a 12midnight curfew for the entire city!) but Utopia is a popular spot with cool views and well-priced beers.