Tourists who make the journey to the far north region of Thailand are greeted with warm smiles and delicious food when they arrive to the city of Chiang Rai! In this city they’re known for their temples and spicy food, and a relaxing city vibe! Here’s everything you need to know in our Quick Guide to Chiang Rai:
WHERE TO STAY
- Chayadol Boutique Resort is a beautiful property just outside of the city centre. It’s fantastic value for your money and the location is perfect if you rent a motorbike.
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- Wat Rong Khun, also known as the White Temple, is one of Thailand’s most impressive temples. For many tourists this is the main reason for visiting Chiang Rai.
- In the centre of Chiang Rai is the beautiful Clock Tower. You’ll probably pass it a few times while driving around the city, but make sure you stop at least once to get a picture of it!
WHERE TO EAT
- My favourite food in Chiang Rai was always found at the night markets. There are three markets to look for: the Night Bazaar, the Saturday Walking Market and the Sunday Market. All three offer similar food stands, but only the Night Bazaar is open daily.
- The staff at Muang Thong Restaurant don’t speak any English, but they’ll serve you fresh and authentic Thai dishes with a smile!
- Another restaurant serving authentic Thai food is Lab Sanam Keela. This restaurant is a little bit further from the centre of the city but it’s well worth it! You’ll know you’ve arrived when you see the massive traffic jam of locals trying to find parking spots.