Melaka is a unique mix of heritages in one small city a few hours south of Kuala Lumpur. With a river running through the city and plenty of amazing restaurants it’s no reason Malaysians flock to this city every weekend! See what all the fuss is about yourself and add Melaka to your next trip to Kuala Lumpur.
WHERE TO STAY
- There’s only one hotel I’ll stay at in Melaka and that’s The Pines. Stunning river views, spacious suites and a beautiful pool. This luxurious hotel is the perfect place to call home for a few days in Melaka.
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- The Night Market on Jonker Street cannot be missed – and easily the biggest attraction in the city. It’s a fun mix of food and shopping and there are tons of great desserts to try.
- Take a ride in a trishaw is a hilarious experience. They blast terrible top 40’s music and the carts are decorated over the top in the themes like Hello Kitty and Frozen. It’s good for a laugh and it’s a good way to take a 20 minute tour of the city.
- Take a river cruise to view the city from the water. Prices are raised on the weekends, so schedule this for a weekday if possible.
- A walk along the riverbank is also a must!
WHERE TO EAT
- The most exciting place to eat is at any of the food stalls at the Night Market.
- If you’re willing to wait in line the chicken rice balls are suppose to be the best at Kedai Kopi Chung Hwa.
- For Indian food visit Pak Putra Tandoori & Naan. Their naan bread is amazing and made to order.
- Jonker 88 is a popular stop for tourists, and if you’re looking to sample cendol this is the place to do it!
- When you’re craving Western food or just looking to gov your stomach a break for street food I highly recommend The Oaks restaurant inside The Pines hotel.