Bali’s neighbouring island of Lombok is slightly less developed but provides travellers with an escape from reality. The famous Gili Islands are known for their beaches and off-the-grid hotels, while the main island of Lombok has plenty of luxury resort. This guide to Lombok has everything you need to know to plan an exotic getaway!
WHERE TO STAY
- In Lombok my top hotel choice is Hotel Tugu – it’s like a beachfront palace!
- On Gili Air I recommend Grand Sunset Gili Air. This is also a great hotel for divers!
- Hotel Ombak Sunset is the best hotel on Gili Trawangan – and best known for their famous ocean swings!
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- Snorkelling is one of the best activities to do in Lombok! For $10 you can sing up for a day trip that takes you to snorkel sights at all three of the Gili Islands.
- There are no cars on the Gili Islands so renting a bike is the best way to get around – it’s also a ton of fun!
- Catch a movie on the beach at Pearl Beach Lounge on Gili Trawangan. They show two movies per night.
- There’s a turtle sanctuary on Gili Meno that’s worth a visit. They help raise baby turtles until they’re old enough to be released into the ocean.
WHERE TO EAT
- Gili Bliss on Gili Air has a delicious and healthy menu.
- For mei goreng give Bale Tajuk Cafe a try in Senggigi.
- Sasak Cafe on Gili Meno is the perfect place for lunch with a view of the ocean.
- Our most memorable dinner was at Pearl Beach Lounge on Gili T.
- We couldn’t get enough of the food at Le Pirate Beach Club on Gili T – we ate there two days in a row!
- Classico on Gili Air has delicious pizza and Italian owners – I highly recommend this place!
WHERE TO DRINK
- On Gili Air head to Scratch Beach Bar for sunset drinks with friendly servers and great music.
- The dragonfruit margarita at Mowie’s on Gili Air is amazing, and they also have sunset views.