It would be hard to find a place in the world more beautiful than Australia’s Whitsunday Islands. Turquoise waters, white sand, green trees and a ton of wildlife. A vacation to the Whitsundays is a vacation of a lifetime! Here’s everything you need to know in this guide to the Whitsundays:
WHERE TO STAY
- The town of Airlie Beach is best used as your base. We flew into the nearby Whitsunday Coast Airport and stayed in Airlie Beach during the first and final nights of our vacation.
- In Airlie Beach we stayed at the Island View Bed & Breakfast. Excellent rates, clean rooms, friendly staff and beautiful views.
- The best place to stay in the Whitsundays is on a boat – I recommend the Whitsunday Adventurer for an overnight trip.
- Another option is to stay at one of the island resorts – such as Hayman Island or Hamilton Island. This is the most expensive option, but a good one none the less.
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- You can’t come to the Whitsundays without getting out on the water. You can take a day trip or an overnight trip and there are over a hundred options to choose from.
- I recommend the Whitsunday Adventurer for a 2 night, 3 day trip around the islands. You’ll see all of the hotspots in one relaxing trip.
- Whitehaven Beach is the most impressive sight to see in the Whitsundays. Nearly every boat trip will take you here.
- A scenic flight is a great way to see the islands from above. We did a flight with GSL Aviation and flew above the islands, Whitehaven Beach and the Great Barrier Reef.
WHERE TO EAT
- The Whitsunday Sailing Club in Airlie Beach is nothing fancy – but their calamari is delicious and they have a beautiful view at sunset. Book ahead for a table with a view.
- Little Vegas (also in Airlie Beach) has delicious burgers, American-style french fries and decadent milkshakes.
- Denmans Cellar Beer Cafe has a great tapas-style menu and hundreds of beers to choose from.
VIDEO FROM WHITEHAVEN BEACH