The Great Barrier Reef is unlike any other spot in the world. It will leave you speechless and give you a new respect for this beautiful planet. If you get the chance to visit Australia don’t leave without making it to the reef! I promise you’ll never regret it.
WHERE TO STAY
- I highly recommend visiting the Great Barrier Reef from Port Douglas. The best tours depart from this marina and it’s a much nicer town than Cairns.
- Frangipani Bed & Breakfast is an amazing place to stay in Port Douglas. Personalized service, stunning property and the nicest owners!
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- The best way to visit the reef is with Poseidon Cruises. They all-day tours take you to the outer reef. Lunch and snorkelling is included, and you can also add an intro dive if you wish.
- Located in Port Douglas is the stunning Four Mile Beach. This beach belongs in the Caribbean with its beautiful palm trees and powdery sand.
- The town of Palm Cove (located between Port Douglas and Cairns) is also worth visiting. Great beach, shopping and restaurants here.
- In Cairns be sure to check out the Cairns Botanic Garden. We spent about 45 minutes exploring their rainforest board walk. It’s not far from the airport either – making it the perfect way to kill time before your flight.
WHERE TO EAT
- By far the best meal we had in this area was at 2Fish in Port Douglas. We both enjoyed fresh local fish and great drinks. Highly recommend this place – but be sure to reserve a table.
- For a quick lunch in Port Douglas visit Mocka’s Pies! Try the crocodile or kangaroo pie for something different.
- In Palm Cove we had amazing fish and chips at The Pantry. Their view of the beach made this lunch even better.
- For the best oysters ever head to Salt House in Cairns and walk along the marina towards the Shangri-La. Docked in the marina is a boat where you can get fresh seafood. Get yours to takeaway or eat in on the boat sitting at a table made out of an old surfboard!
WHERE TO DRINK
- The Veranda (at Central Hotel) in Port Douglas is the perfect place to grab a drink and people watch! The Sunset Deck at The Court House Hotel is another favourite.
- We didn’t eat dinner at Zinc (Port Douglas) but we did enjoy drinks and dessert here. It’s a beautiful restaurant.
- Salt House in Cairns is a fun place to visit for drinks – especially on a Sunday afternoon.