I’d describe Spain’s capital city as a blend of Barcelona’s ultra-cool vibe and London’s cosmopolitan sophistication. Come for the sights and stunning architecture, but stay for the parties and the incredible food. This guide to Madrid has everything you need to know including the best Madrid attractions!
WHERE TO STAY
- I love Hotel Room Mate Laura for it’s fun design, unbeatable location and friendly service. Oh, did I mention the awesome two story rooms? See my hotel review right here.
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- A tour of Santiago Bernabéu Stadium is a must for any soccer fan! Even if you’re not it’s still pretty spectacular to see. Visiting for a game is ever better!
- Spend an afternoon shopping on Gran Via. There’s a great mix of affordable shops and high end boutiques.
- Head to Parc Retiro for a picnic lunch or a long walk.
- Palacio Real de Madrid is an incredible palace and a must-see!
WHERE TO EAT
- San Gines is the BEST churros in the whole world. They come on a plate with a mug of hot chocolate that you dunk them into. Divine!
- For an affordable dinner in beautiful atmosphere head to Bazaar. I was blown away by the value of our meal here.
- Public is another restaurant I recommend for dinner, and it’s the same owners as Bazaar. Great value, posh setting, spectacular food.
- For gourmet take-out head to Diurno and get a salad or sandwich to go, then eat it at Parc Retiro.
WHERE TO DRINK
- Madrid has tons of great rooftop bars, but my favourite is the bar at Hotel de las Letras which overlooks Gran Via.
- Hotel Room Mate Oscar has a posh rooftop bar with a pool and an all-white decor.