When it came time to plan our first weekend getaway from Sydney we had no doubts that Hunter Valley would be the perfect location. It’s only a few hours from Sydney and it’s home to some of Australia’s best wineries! Check out my guide to Hunter Valley:
WHERE TO STAY
- Willow Tree Estate is the perfect combination of romance, exclusivity, and location. This small boutique hotel is nestled between wineries in Hunter Valley’s best region, Pokolbin.
WHAT TO SEE & DO
- Since Hunter Valley is known for their wineries doing a wine tour is an absolute MUST! We chose All Hunter Wine Tours and we were blown away by their service and the quality of the tour.
- The second most popular activity in Hunter Valley is to take a hot air balloon ride! We had a truly memorable experience with Beyond Ballooning.
WHERE TO EAT
- For a romantic dinner Muse Kitchen sets the perfect setting! Their selection wasn’t huge, but everything on the menu is incredibly fresh.
- You can’t come to Hunter Valley without having brunch at the famous Peterson House. Peterson House is best known for their sparkling wine, so be sure to order their “Bubbly Breakfast” special that includes a glass of their best!
- If you prefer to order take away to eat at your hotel (as we chose to do our first night) then Oishii is a fantastic choice! This thai restaurant had a great selection, fresh food and very reasonable prices for Hunter Valley.
- For dessert there’s no better place than Sabor In The Hunter for something sweet with a view.